Friday, May 27, 2022

Happy Friday!

Hey howdy hey everybody! Today I have an illustration taken from a book project that never came together. As the illustrator I would love to blame the author for the project failing, but I'm the author too so that doesn't help at all. Suffice it to say that paying jobs and then stronger story concepts pushed this one aside.

This dancing elephant is a main character, and he appeared in most of the illustrations. Elephants are a favorite subject of mine. There are many animals that I repeatedly draw, which I attribute to my love of Richard Scarry's work. Not that mine are as good as his, but I appreciated his work as a kid, and still do today. Mr. Scarry's characters and environments were perfectly rendered, so as to overload your senses with whimsy. Scarry and Charles M. Schulz had a huge impact my style.

At some point I used the illustration to encourage a friend of mine on a particularly bleak winter afternoon. I hope he can give you a smile, or enhance your Friday mood in some way. This pencil sketch was done with a Pentel .7mm P207 mechanical pencil in a Pentalic Sketchbook on 70lb paper. I hope you enjoyed this post, and that it encouraged you, made you think, or challenged you. God bless you, and have a great day! --Ryan

No comments: