Thursday, April 20, 2017

Little Traveler

Hello everyone! Today I have a sketch for you that is not for any project in particular, which is unusual as I rarely have time for drawings that don't have a specific purpose.

This little boy might make it into a story some day, and then he might not. I drew him while catching up with my writer's group that meets once a month, but who hasn't met in a few months.

There are lots of questions about this character but here are some things we know: He has a mother who loves him and who dressed him well in a fine suit. He is not alone. His traveling companion is the closest of friends, a stuffed bear. He is not wandering, he has a destination. He is sad. Whether from something which has happened on his journey, or the cause of his journey we do not know.

These are some of the things I thought about as I worked on this sketch.

This pencil sketch was done with a Pentel .7mm P207 mechanical pencil in a Pentalic Sketchbook on 70lbs. paper. It was scanned and then colorized in PhotoShop. The color layer in PS has only 35% opacity. I feel this lets the pencil work show through, yet gives the appearance of a light wash of color. I hope you enjoyed this post. God bless, and have a great day! --Ryan

No comments: