Monday, March 6, 2017

Weasels

Howdy folks! Today I have something that I don't usually share with you. Below you will see a short movie (21 seconds long) that is basically a slideshow of rough sketches of weasel characters I've been developing for a book project. The content I share here is usually finished work, and the sketches are very rough. But I wanted to share something different, and something new. So here you go.

I spent a lot of time getting to the weasel design you see here. My favorite depiction of weasels has always been the Disney weasels in "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride", this same design was also used in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". So I began months and months ago drawing very long nosed, slanty eyed weasels that only looked good in profile. When I drew them straight on or from the front view, they looked hideous. I would like to say that I quickly came up with a solution and drafted it perfectly on my second attempt. However that is not the case. I spent months drawing the other characters, and just alluding to the weasels (in a very rough manner). Then finally I sat down and drew a profile that I liked and that I thought would work in the "front view". Then I used grid paper and tracing paper to exactly transition into the front view. It helped me to make sure I wasn't fudging the position of any of the objects (like the eyes, or the nose, etc.).

The result is what you see here. Again these drawings are not final drawings, and they are only a generic weasel. I'll now need to create all the different weasel characters from this template. The images with the blue on them are potential hair styles for our greasy weasels. I particularly like the handle bar mustachio.

Once I had a few faces roughed in I scanned them and brought them into photoshop where I created the slideshow animation you see here. The original profile and 3/4 view were done in my Pentalic sketchbook (70 lbs. paper) with a 7mm Pentel P207 mechanical pencil.

Anywho... I hope you enjoyed learning a little about my process. As always thank you for stopping by. I hope you are well, God bless and have a great day!

No comments: